Director of Religious Education (DRE) – Part Time – 20 hours/week
A job with joy! Work with meaning! A friendly community to support you!
The Unitarian Society (TUS) – a Unitarian Universalist Congregation — in East Brunswick, NJ seeks a part-time (20 hours) Director of Religious Education (DRE) to nurture a strong religious education program that serves the faith formation needs of children, youth, and families.
The TUS religious education program is vibrant. It currently includes about 20 children (spanning ages from pre-K through middle school), plus some high school youth child care providers in our Youth Empowerment Program (YEP). Working closely with our settled minister, as well as volunteers that help guide the program, the DRE is responsible for developing and administering TUS’ religious education program, including curriculum planning and oversight; recruitment, training, and coordination of volunteers; supervising Sunday activities; helping families to connect with each other and learn how to meet their spiritual needs as a family; and help the congregation move towards stronger multi-generational connection and integration.
Ideal candidates for the position will demonstrate:
– enthusiasm for becoming part of a growing liberal religious community;
– an affirmation and understanding of Unitarian Universalist principles and sources (or willingness to learn);
– strong skills in connecting emotionally, psychologically, spiritually, and intellectually with parents, families, and children;
– experience with curriculum and program administration;
– knowledge about socio-emotional and developmental learning needs of children and youth;
– the ability to work collegially and collaboratively with staff, lay leadership, and volunteers;
– strong organizational skills; ability to effectively communicate verbally and via writing;
– comfort and competence with technology to communicate with parents, co-workers, and the wider community;
– interest in attending collegial networking meetings and professional development opportunities;
– a sense of humor and grace.
People with disabilities, people of color, Hispanic/Latino/a and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-year position; 20 hours per week. Competitive compensation based on experience and formal education. Includes paid vacation, sick leave, and after one year, contribution to a retirement plan. Flexible schedule includes weekly Sunday morning classes, a mix of evening and daytime hours, plus occasional other special events. Preferred start date is August/early September. We are accepting resumes until the position is filled.
Applications without cover letter will not be considered. To apply, send cover letter and resumé to the DRE Search Committee at email@example.com.