Purpose: process climate grief so you can face reality & do what is yours to do
• Ages high school & older
• All genders & sexual orientations warmly welcome
• Non-activists, wanna-be activists, & activists alike
• Any religious/spiritual affiliation or none at all
• Works of Joanna Macy (Work That Reconnects – WTR), Jem Bendell (Deep Adaptation), and adrienne maree brown (emergent strategies) inform this effort.
• The climate crisis is real, is based in science, and is acted out in the form of violent scarcity behavior: racism, patriarchy, anti-immigrant/xenophobia, authoritarianism, etc. Collective liberation and our response to climate collapse must be informed by these intersections and connections.
• First gathering: Sept 15; then quarterly (and more if there is interest)
• Ongoing & Drop-In – the more you come, the more everyone benefits
• Share a vegetarian meal (vegan option)
• Make art
• Sing together
• Centering practices (like meditation)
• Time to reflect & connect, to listen & witness each other
What These Gatherings Are Not
• Space to debate whether climate change is real
• Opportunities for advice, advocacy, or persuasion
• Discussion group (solely)
• Intellectual exercise (solely)
• Book club
• Focused on solutions (individual or collective) to the climate crisis, though your time at these gatherings will help you prepare emotionally and spiritually for such efforts
Interested? Curious? Have Questions?
Reach out to Rev. Karen at The Unitarian Society at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Facebook at Revkaren G Johnston. Rev. Karen welcomes others helping to organize.
It is open to the community and will flourish with wider participation and support.